Erasmus+ students


You can join our Study Abroad Programme as an Erasmus+ student if:

  1. There is a valid Erasmus+ exchange agreement between your university and the University of Reading, in your area of study.
  2. Your home university officially nominates you and receives confirmation from Reading that you can apply to join our Study Abroad programme.
  3. You meet all entry requirements stipulated in the information you receive.


Full details about how to apply will be sent to you once your home university nominates you to study at Reading. 

You will need to:

  • Complete the online application form (including provisional module choices) – the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office will provide you with the links and details.
  • Email a scanned copy of the full application form, signed by you and signed / stamped by your home university, to the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office (
  • Provide an official transcript of studies (in English), indicating the modules you have already studied and grades achieved as part of your current degree programme. Please note: your transcript must be an official English language transcript produced by your home university. A document you have translated into English yourself is not acceptable.
  • If required, a certificate stating your English language level. Click on ‘Language requirements’ on the drop down menu to the right for more information.

NB – Art and Typography & Graphic Design students: you will be required to submit a selection of your most recent work (approximately 15 images) on a PowerPoint, PDF, or online cloud drive.

Application Deadlines

1 June 2022 for September 2022 start 

1 November 2022 for January 2023 start

Module selections
  • You can select modules in the agreed subject areas of the Erasmus+ exchange agreement between our institutions. The available modules are advertised on the Study Abroad Programme module pages and listed in the online application form.
  • Erasmus+ students are not normally permitted to study modules outside the subject area of the agreement unless Reading provides explicit permission to do so.
Language requirements

If you will be studying with us for 6 months or less with a Standard Visitor visa or with permission under the EU Settlement Scheme, then you will not need to supply language certification as part of your Study Abroad Programme application. However, it is recommended that applicants have language competency equivalent to level B2/C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

If you will be studying with us for the full academic year on a Student visa, you will need to evidence that you have achieved at least B2 level in each of the four components (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) as part of your Study Abroad Programme application. This is so that the University of Reading can provide support for your visa application. It is a requirement that applicants are equivalent to level B2/C1 on the CEFR.

Accepted certificates are listed below, and must have been issued within 2 years of you applying to the Study Abroad Programme. Please note that certificates produced by your home university cannot be accepted.

There are no exemptions to providing English language certification based on your home university, home degree programme, or if you study in English at your home university.

Qualification Full TitleQualification Short NameScore Required
International English Language Test ScoreIELTS6.5 (with no element scoring less than 6.0)
Test of English as a Foreign Language iBT (internet-based version)TOEFL (internet-based) 88 (with no less than 17 in Listening & Writing, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking)
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in EnglishCPEC
Test of English for Educational PurposesTEEP6.5

If you do not meet the necessary language requirement it is possible to register for the Pre-sessional English Language programme before you join our Study Abroad Programme (please note however that TOEFL scores will not be acceptable for entry onto the Pre-sessional English Language programme). You will though need to factor in the time and cost of joining this programme prior to the Study Abroad Programme.

Visa requirements

Please note: you must not apply for any visa until you have received and accepted your offer of a place on the Study Abroad Programme from the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office.

The type of immigration permission / visa you will require depends on how long you are going to study in the UK.

If you are going to join the Study Abroad Programme for 6 months or less (i.e. semester only students) you can obtain a visa / immigration permission as a Standard Visitor or as a Student.

However, if you are going to join us for longer than 6 months (i.e. full academic year students), you will need to apply for and obtain a Student visa before travelling to the UK. This includes EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals who enter the UK after 31 December 2020 and are not eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme.

The University will provide you with the relevant documentation to support your immigration application. You can use the UK Visas and Immigration online tool to check if you need a UK visa: “Check if you need a visa?”

If you need more information, guidance, advice, and support with immigration matters, you can contact the University’s International Student Advisory Team. The Erasmus & Study Abroad Office works closely with colleagues in this team to support students in this area.