Interested in China? Willing to try something online?
APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED!
Then join our one-week online course aimed at enriching your language and cultural knowledge of China.
It does not require prior Mandarin knowledge or ability, and it is a great opportunity for you to obtain insiders’ view of China and experience intercultural communication and authentic language development, first-hand, for free.
Course takes place between 13-17 June 2022. Classes take place 12:30 and 14:30.
Applications for June 2022 are now closed.
Find out more
This course is for any Reading student interested in Chinese culture and the language (Mandarin), who might hope to:
- understand an oriental perspective of viewing the increasingly complicated world; or
- would like to communicate with native Chinese to learn firsthand information about their values, outlooks and daily life as a backdrop for understanding the rising super country; or
- might have an intent of venturing out studying/working in China in the future; or
- want to further develop your intercultural communication competency; or
- want to enhance or sharpen your Mandarin ability; or
- simply want to learn something new in the holidays.
Mainly structured around language and culture, with some academic communication between students from NUIST and Reading.
- cultural content – for example:
- Chinese identity:
- Collectivism the core of the value system;
- Cultural representations in music and films;
- Chinese philosophy:
- Yin Yang and Taoism–a very Chinese approach to dealing with (daily) issues;
- Chinese diet (more than just being delicious);
- Chinese university life;
- Digitalised China and the economy.
- fun facts of some aspects of Chinese culture e.g. Characters, foods, and online influencers;
- linguistic topics e.g., distinctive difference between Mandarin and English the languages; daily and formal greetings; talking about selves; ordering food and drink;
- language skills such as tone distinguishing; speaking and listening practice; and
- transferable employability skills such as ICC and open-mindedness.
NB: Course content and delivery is subject to change depending on student interest (which can be expressed in the applcation) and NUIST teachers’ final confirmation.
The Course aims to deliver a cultural, fun yet informative experience for all participants through a communicative and reflective approach
In total 10 hours of synchronous (live) sessions delivered via Microsoft Teams, with 5 hours of asynchronous study of lead-in and/or follow-on tasks
Two one-hour live sessions daily (between 12:30 and 14:30, on 13-17 June 2022
It will mainly be taught by colleagues from our partner institution Nanjing University of Information, Science and Technology (NUIST).
- develop further knowledge of Chinese culture, the language and its people;
- be able to greet and introduce yourself in simple Chinese;
- enhance ICC skills.
At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of participation (providing you attend at least 8 hours and complete a comparative/reflective writing and an online survey).
The course is open to all Reading students, but a set number of places will be reserved for the Widening participation and under-represented cohorts (see OFS criteria) .
If oversubscribed, selection for the course will be via random selection.
Successful students will be notified via email by the course director Dr Carrie Zhang within one week after the application deadline.
If you have any further queries, please contact Dr Carrie Zhang: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course forms part of a wider UK-China Outward Mobility Partnership project (OMI), part of the Generation UK Campaign, with the aim to encourage partnerships between UK and Chinese universities.