Red Desert

Erasmus & Study Abroad Office

The Erasmus & Study Abroad Office will support you at every stage of your Study Abroad journey.

We will support you pre-departure, on placement and when you return.

We also offer the chance to speak with Reading students who have studied abroad.

You can make an appointment to speak with someone in ESAO or with one of our Study Abroad ambassadors.

Subject Study Abroad Coordinators

Subject Study Abroad Coordinators provide you with academic guidance and support to help you through the full Study Abroad cycle – before, during and after.  They can help you select modules at the partner institution, provide information about grade conversion and credit transfer, work with the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office to provide you with information about Study Abroad opportunities and offer pastoral support whilst you are abroad.

Find your Study Abroad Coordinator
Agriculture Policy & DevelopmentBecky
ArchaeologyDr Aleks
Biological SciencesDr Eva Kevei
ChemistryDr Chris
Classics Prof Eleanor Dickey
Computer Science Dr Hong Wei
Construction Management & Built Environment Vacant – new coordinator to be confirmed n/a
Economics Dr Sophie Clot
EducationVacant – new coordinator to be confirmed n/a
English Language & Applied Linguistics Dr Erhan Aslan
English Literature Dr Stephen Thomson
Film, Theatre & Television Dr Dominic
Food & Nutritional Sciences Dr QiaoFen Cheng
Geography & Environmental Science Dr Aleks
Henley Business School  Sue
HistoryVacant – new coordinator to be confirmedn/a
LawDr Steve
Mathematics & StatisticsDr Jeroen Wouters
MeteorologyProf Keith Shine
Languages & CulturesDr Ute Wolfel
Pharmacy  Dr Darius Widera
Philosophy Dr George
Politics & International Relations Dr Andrew Reid
Psychology Dr Lydia Yee
Typography & Graphic Communication Geoff Wyeth

Language support

Reading offers a range of opportunities to Study Abroad, some of which will require second language skills (for learning as well as day-to-day living) as well as many that do not. Regardless, we actively encourage and support all students wanting to learn a second language to do so, either from scratch or to improve existing language skills.

Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support (OLS)

The Online Linguistic Support (OLS) supports language learning for Erasmus+ mobility participants. It offers free online language courses in 24 European languages (2018), as well as assessments in order to help assess linguistic progress. Courses range from absolute beginner to near fluent. Students can also gain certification to prove their language competency.

Erasmus+ OLS is made available to all students participating on the Erasmus+ programme in the lead up to their placement.

For more information please visit

Contact for further details.

Institution-Wide Language Programme (IWLP)

You can learn a language during your time at Reading through the Institution-Wide Language Programme (IWLP). Modules are offered at up to five different levels (from beginner onwards), currently in 11 different languages – for credit (as part of your degree) or for non-credit (small fee applicable).

Self-Access Centre for Language Learning (SACLL)

SACLL offers opportunities for students to independently learn a language. The centre (located on 2nd floor of Edith Morley Building) offers a wide range of materials for students learning English and foreign languages including books, DVDs and other media; some of these materials can be borrowed for a short period. There are computers available for the students to use, some with useful online language materials, and a printer located within the centre. For more information please visit SACLL website.

Students with Disabilities

The University of Reading has a policy of equal access and encourages all students to consider studying abroad. We will work with partner institutions to try to ensure that their Study Abroad Programme is accessible to everyone, where possible.

If you are interested in studying abroad we recommend that you liaise with your Study Abroad Coordinator, the Disability Advisory Service and the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office at the earliest opportunity. This way you can gain the support and guidance that you might need in any decision making.

Erasmus+ Additional Funding

If you have a severe disability or exceptional special needs then you may be entitled to extra funding to cover associated costs on your Erasmus+ placement.

Funding is available (upon application to the Erasmus+ National Agency) for participants whose individual mental, physical or health-related condition is such that participation would not be possible without extra financial support.

Higher education students who need to apply for a special needs allowance should do so via their home institution, before the start of the academic year in which the mobility activity is scheduled to take place.

To be eligible for the additional funding certain criteria must be met:

  • The participant must have an officially recognised disability or special need
  • The application must be supported by a medical practitioner (verifying certain facts / information)
  • The application must be submitted prior to the start of the mobility.

Students should enquire and apply via the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office ) who will work with potential applicants and the Disability Advisory Service to complete and submit any application for funds.

Julia Boorman Award

The Julia Boorman Award intends to support disabled students from Theatre Arts or History with additional costs associated with undertaking travel abroad in connection with their programme of study.

These costs could include, for example, accommodation, general living or study costs, and fees. It is expected that the majority of applicants will be intending to undertake a course of study or work at an overseas university or organisation, but awards are not restricted to such activity.

Immigration Advice Service

International students requiring a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK can also receive help from the Immigration Advice Service at Reading to help sort out any visa issues arising with you going abroad.

Combined Degree students

You need to discuss your Study Abroad options with both subject areas, but the primary contact is the Study Abroad Coordinator from the subject that is responsible for the degree. If you are unsure, email us at and we will help you. However please note that all subjects noted in your degree title must approve of your mobility, including when in the degree you can go abroad.