Fee-paying Study Abroad students


You can apply as:

  • A direct applicant i.e. you pay your tuition fees direct to Reading, or  
  • Through a sponsor / third party provider i.e. they pay the Study Abroad Programme tuition fee to the University of Reading.

Students normally should have completed at least 3 semesters of study by the time of entry, although exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis.

If you’re interested in joining our Study Abroad programme as a direct applicant, please contact us directly at: studyabroad@reading.ac.uk and we will provide you with comprehensive information and support regarding how to apply.

The cost of tuition depends on where you are currently studying, the duration of your studies and how many credits you need – details can be found on our costs page.

Students interested in applying through a sponsor / third party provider should contact them directly, although we are happy to answer any queries you might have.


You will need to complete and return:

  • A letter of recommendation from your home university confirming that you can join our Study Abroad programme
  • A printed Study Abroad Programme application form, signed by you and signed / stamped by your home university / sponsor
  • A detailed transcript (in English), of your studies so far, confirming that you have achieved a cumulative GPA 3.0 (on a 4 point system) or the equivalent of 60% in the UK system
  • A printed Study Abroad Programme learning agreement, noting the module choices selected as part of the online application
  • Evidence of your levels of English language competence

NB – Art and Typography & Graphic Design students: you will be required to submit a selection of your most recent work (approximately 15 images) on a PowerPoint, PDF, or online cloud drive.

Application Deadlines

1 June 2022 for September 2022 start 

1 November 2022 for January 2023 start

Module selections

In principle students can select any module advertised on our Study Abroad Programme module pages, however you will need to demonstrate sufficient background knowledge in order to be accepted.

Language requirements

Students must meet the following language requirements, evidenced by one of the following certifications, in order to join our Study Abroad Programme. The qualification should normally have been awarded within 2 years of joining the Study Abroad Programme. Please note that certificates produced by your home university cannot be accepted.

Qualification Full TitleQualification Short NameScore Required
International English Language Test ScoreIELTS6.5 (with no element scoring less than 6.0)
 Test of English as a Foreign Language iBT (internet-based version)TOEFL (internet-based) 88 (with no less than 17 in Listening & Writing, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking)
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in EnglishCPEC
Test of English for Educational PurposesTEEP6.5

If you do not meet the necessary language requirement it is possible to register for the Pre-sessional English Language programme before you join our Study Abroad programme (please note however that TOEFL scores will not be acceptable for entry onto the Pre-sessional English Language programme). You will though need to factor in the time and cost of attending this programme before the Study Abroad Programme.

Visa requirements

The type of immigration permission / visa you will require depends on how long you are going to study in the UK.

If you are going to join the Study Abroad Programme for 6 months or less (i.e. semester only students) you can obtain a visa / immigration permission as a Standard Visitor or as a Student.

However, if you are going to join us for longer than 6 months (i.e. full academic year students), you will need to apply for and obtain a Student visa before travelling to the UK. This includes EU, EEA and Swiss nationals who enter the UK after 31 December 2020 and are not eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme.

The University will provide you with the relevant documentation to support your immigration application. You can use the UK Visas and Immigration online tool to check if you need a UK visa: “Check if you need a visa?”

If you need more information, guidance, advice, and support with immigration matters, you can contact the University’s International Student Advisory Team. The Erasmus & Study Abroad Office works closely with colleagues in this team to support students in this area.