Palmer Building, Whiteknights Campus Aerial Drone Photograph

Tuition fees 2021/22

Exchange students (including Erasmus+):

Exchange students do not pay tuition fees to the University of Reading.

EU tuition fees

Undergraduate Courses
Study Block 1 (September-December; 30 ECTS)£4,625
Study Block 2 (January-June; 30 ECTS)£4,625
Full academic year (September-June; 60 ECTS):£9,250

International fees (i.e. coming to Reading from outside of Europe)

Undergraduate Courses
Study Block 1 (September-December; 30 ECTS)£7,000
Study Block 2 (January-June; 30 ECTS)£7,000
Full academic year (September-June; 60 ECTS)£13,500

Fee-paying students at postgraduate level exclusively will be advised of the costs individually, based on the proposed programme of study.

Correct as of February 2021.

Living costs

Living costs are an important part of budgeting for your period abroad.

Costs vary from student to student, depending on your interests and lifestyle. Study Abroad Programme students often travel more than a UK student hence travel costs are likely to be higher (depending on how much you travel and where you go).

We recommended you make an extra allowance of up to £600 for other expenses on arrival.

If you need a visa to study in the UK, you should also budget to cover the cost of this and the immigration health surcharge (where applicable).

Suggested cost of living

ExpenseWeekly living costs for 2021/22
AccommodationAccommodation costs will vary depending on whether you choose standard, premium or private accommodation, and how long you are staying. Prices can vary from around £100 to £200 per week. Prices will vary for private accommodation and private rental contracts normally cover a 12-month period.
Food£36 – £52 (this will vary if you are in catered or self-catered accommodation)
Mobile phone£4 – £14
TravelAround £17 (local travel – not including any tourist activities undertaken)
Books and stationeryAround £11
EntertainmentAround £29
Clothing and personal care£16 – £26

Please note the amounts above are based on a single person undertaking a degree at Reading and are correct at time of publishing (February 2021). Costs are averages, and will vary for individuals dependent on lifestyle choices.


Medical insurance

All students must ensure that they have sufficient and appropriate medical coverage in place for the duration of their study placement before arriving in the UK.

Please liaise with your home university regarding your options. The University of Reading does not provide medical insurance for Study Abroad Programme students.

Contents insurance

You should insure your possessions and belongings whilst travelling to / from the UK and for the period that you are studying at the University.

If you are living in University halls accommodation there is basic contents insurance included in the halls’ fees. Full details of the cover and exclusions are available from Endsleigh Insurance.

If you are living in private accommodation then it is your responsibility to gain the appropriate contents insurance. Your home university might be able to assist you with this so please liaise with them regarding your options.

Make sure that all your belongings are insured (including clothing, computer, electrical equipment, jewellery, etc.) as well as checking what you are covered against (e.g. fire, flood, theft, etc.).