The University of Reading does not have an organised Erasmus+ trainee programme. The University of Reading may host Erasmus+ trainees, but only on an ad-hoc basis and at the discretion of the hosting School (with formal approval of the Head of School). The trainee has to meet certain requirements before any acceptance / confirmation of the place is provided.
The Erasmus & Study Abroad Office is not responsible for Erasmus trainees. Rather we can provide guidance and support to the hosting School, and register trainee placements who meet the necessary requirements onto University systems so that the trainee placement can access support from other professional services.
Information for students:
- Acceptance as an Erasmus+ trainee placement at the University of Reading is not guaranteed, and is at the discretion of the academic School. Schools are not obliged to accept any individual for an Erasmus+ traineeship.
- The University of Reading can only accept Erasmus+ traineeships of 6 months’ duration, or less. If approved, the trainees will be registered onto University systems, and have access to support services and facillities, including immigration guidance, email, library access and halls of residence.
- The University cannot and will not accept Erasmus+ trainee placements lasting longer than 6 months duration – this will require Tier 5 sponsorship which the University is unable to provide.
- Academic supervisors will require formal approval of the Head of School before they can offer to host.
- The University is often unable to support the necessary visas required for non-EU / EEA nationals undertaking this type of visit to the University.
If interested in undertaking an Erasmus+ traineeship at Reading, please contact the academic School at the University of Reading where you would like to be hosted. The School will assess your request.
Information for UoR staff:
- Schools / Departments are not obliged to accept any individual for an Erasmus+ traineeship.
- Schools will take full responsibility for hosting any Erasmus+ trainee placements.
- Placements should not be more than 6 months in duration due to immigration requirements. If a School wishes to host a trainee placement for longer than 6 months, this will be considered a work placement and HR department will need to be involved (and possibly Legal Services).
- Erasmus+ trainee placements cannot be charged tuition or bench fees, nor take on a role which would normally be a paid (i.e. work).
- Potential academic supervisors should not make any offers or promises to applicants without, in the first instance:
- Consulting with the Erasmus & Study Abroad Office, who can provide you with additional information regarding next steps and responsibilities;
- Gaining formal approval of the Head of School.
- No inter-institutional agreement can be signed in order to host an incoming Erasmus+ trainee.
- No payment or stipend should be paid.
Please contact the Erasmus &Study Abroad Office if you have any further questions.
Information for other universities:
- Trainee students can only be hosted at Reading if there is the formal approval of the Head of School. Please advise your students to contact the relevant academics Schools in the first instance.
- The University will not sponsor students for Tier 5 visas to participate on the Erasmus+ trainee programme. Placements should be no more than 6 months in duration.
- Visa and immigration arrangements for non-EU / EEA nationals can be complex and costly. The University of Reading is often unable to support necessary visas for non-EU / EEA nationals undertaking this type of visit to the University.
- The University of Reading will not enter into any Erasmus+ (or other) inter-institutional partnerships in order to enable a student to complete a trainee placement at Reading.